Sunday, June 13, 2010

In Sickness and In Health

I have been sick. I have had a head cold of massive proportions and it managed to suck every ounce of extra energy out of my system for near on 4 whole days. This, of course, put the kybosh on my somewhat ambitious plans to work out this weekend while the sun was shining. I had walks and swimming and gym time planned out in my head but when I woke up Friday morning, I could see it all vanish before my eyes.

As the weekend went on, I felt progressively worse and was worried that it was going to impact my entire week. Some people lose their appetite when they're sick, but this is not the case for me. I may actually have eaten MORE than usual. *sigh*

By last night (Sunday), I was feeling a bit better so I was already making plans to get some exercise. This, of course, brought out the folks who know what they're talking about and each of them told me to take it easy. You'd think I'd listen..but no.

Today I took the kids to school. I parked the car at their school and headed into town on foot. It was bloody cold out there but I had my pedometer, my iPod and my mittens and I was determined to get some exercise. I walked all over the place before heading home. By 11 a.m. I had walked just under 6 kms and I was feeling good. The fresh air really helped to clear out my head.

At school pick up time, I walked back to get the kids and the car before heading to the store. I was a bit slower this time but still feeling good.

**Side note: Remember that fancy new pedometer I got from WW? I still love it but have discovered that I absolutely MUST pause it while I am in the car otherwise it shows me having walked almost twice as far as I actually have. I realised this the other day when I did hardly any walking at all in the morning and yet it showed about 8 kms, so now it goes on PAUSE whenever I'm in the car. Something for y'all to think about when it comes to your pedometers.**

It's now evening and I'm exhausted. It's only 7 pm. I'm glad I got out in the fresh air, but I do wish I'd listened a bit more to the folks who were telling me to take it easy. I think I might have over done it.

I think the key is to listen to your body. It needs to rest to get better.

Now that I'm a bit more healthy, I'm looking forward to getting back on track with working out. I'm not very optimistic about weigh in this week, but we'll see.

How do you know when your body is ready to exercise again? What do you do to make yourself feel better when you're sick?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, pushing your body when it doesn't want to be pushed is never a good thing. Last year, I was involved in a fun run. I knew the night before the run that I was sick. The run was 8km, and it was not a nice day - it was cold and windy and awful. But I also knew that if I didn't go, my flatmates wouldn't either -- and the run was for charity. So I ended up going, and my body punished me BAD.

    Since then, I find that I prefer to wimp out when it comes to being ill and exercising. If I'm not 90%, I just won't go, at least if it's a) cardio and b) outdoors. But I do try to replace it with SOMETHING...some stretching or some yoga or pushups (if I'm feeling ambitious), because then I still feel like I'm not neglecting myself.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird that your pedometer registers steps while you are sitting in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only natural that you're exhausted after that, so don't fret. Rest up and you'll be ready to ease back into it today. Thanks for the tip about the pedometer. I dug mine out last night finally. I like Katali's suggestion of doing yoga when not feeling 100% - it helps keep the body limber and works the toxins out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you that you walked even though you didn't feel like it.
    But you are right, maybe you did too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I'm die-hard. If I'm not running a fever or vomiting, the workout is on. When I'm not feeling well, I feel like fresh air and exercise helps with the healing process...

    Hope you're feeling like yourself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I saw where you commented on my blog, so I was checking out all 4 of yours. It looks like this is the one you update regularly for weight loss. I was laughing my ass off at Fatass Fridays though....that pic is just hilarious...the one you're using as your banner at the top with the words "Blending In"...oh I wish it was your banner on this blog....it makes me laugh just thinking about it, lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm adding yours to my blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete